The Re-Framing Strategy for Growers

Photo colage of marijuana gardenAbout a year ago I was talking to a fellow grower who lost his entire garden to one of those things that we all fear the most—crop failure.

He was really down about it and was considering throwing in the towel.

Seriously, he was so devastated by this one little incident that he was thinking about just giving up and walking away from growing for good. He said he was just gonna go start putting in double-time for his brother in-law’s construction company—which was his normal day job—instead of spending any more time and energy on growing.

But here’s the thing, he hated the job and couldn’t stand his brother in-law—he said the guy was a real asshole and worse than that boss in Office Space—you know, Lumbergh.

He told me about how he was almost 2 months behind on his mortgage, and was scared he was going to lose his house.

Now, I know how horrible crop failure can seem. In fact, I wrote all about my first experience with it in a recent blog post.

But remember, the bottom line is that it’s only as bad as your mind makes it out to be.

In fact, you can actually give it any meaning you want to by just re-framing it.

Re-framing is a process of viewing, experiencing and mentally labeling situations in a way that allows you to attach alternative meanings to them—ideally meanings that are positive and focus on the big picture outcome.

For example, in the situation with the grower above, his frame of the experience was one of loss, failure, and limited options.

A frame in a frame showing a picture of gardenHe had given the situation a very dark, narrow and scarcity-based frame.

During our talk I encouraged him to look at this experience in a different light—a new frame if you will.

For one, he needed to be grateful for what he had—which was a loving and supportive wife, an ideal location to grow, and access to myself and some of the other top growers in the world. So from that stand-point, he had a lot more going for him than most growers.

He also had a ton of other great stuff in his life—he had a steady source of income, wonderful kids, a beautiful home and he was healthy. I mean, sure, he would have needed to put in extra-hours at the construction gig for a couple of months to stay afloat and get caught up on his mortgage, but only temporarily.

A lot of people in the world don’t have this kind of luxury. I know first hand. You see, I recently spent some time in Syrian refugee camps delivering food to the refugees.

No matter had bad his crop failure appeared, his life was still 100 times better than a large portion of our world has it.

Here’s a video from when I visited the camps… check it out.

YouTube Preview Image
Next, I got him to put his focus on not just this one little crop, but on the big picture of what he wanted to do as a grower.

In the scheme of your career as a grower, one little crop failure really doesn’t matter all that much. Sure, it might suck when you walk in and see all your little beauties lying there dead or diseased, but honestly, if you’re a grower that kind of thing comes with the job description.

Now for one, he was only 3 weeks into the grow. So at least he lost it after just 3 weeks instead of a whole 7, 8 or 9 right?

Also, the strain he was growing wasn’t all that great. So he now had the opportunity to start over with a better strain.

Plus, he learned a ton about growing from the experience that he can now apply to future crops.

A close-up image of marijuana bud placed into a wooden frameI helped him shift his focus from looking at it as a failure, and putting that experience into the big picture frame of gratitude,  lessons learned and a future of unlimited possibilities.

Once he did this he was able to move on to his next grow with an optimistic and determined attitude that he simply didn’t have before.

And what’s awesome is, he’s since had so much success growing—even in just the last year—that not only did he not have to start putting in double-time hours for his brother-in-law, but he was able to quit that job all-together, put a nice amount of savings away into the bank, and he and his wife are expecting triplets. Triplets!

Plus, he paid off his house!

He now looks back at that silly little crop failure and says it was the turning point where he decided to stop pussy-footing around and get serious as a grower.

I love it when a member of our community is able to take a situation that at the time seemed “bad” (that’s the way he labeled it back when it happened—”bad”), and turn it into one big positive—a positive that can catapults success not just to the next level, but the next 10 levels.

Remember, we can’t change the past, but we CAN give a new meaning to it and set our sights on the future.

My sincere hope to you is that you take everything that’s going on in your life and in your gardens, and put the biggest most-positive outcome-based frames on them that you can.

It makes all the difference in the world.

Talk soon,

BigMike 🙂

P.S. I’d love to hear your comments below.

, , , ,

9 Responses to The Re-Framing Strategy for Growers

1. Max February 12, 2014 at 9:25 am #

I just sent you a ( Not As Big a Bomb as His But on a Personal Level I did the same thing By Not Listening to Nature and Common FARMING Way’s. .Man Big Mike It hit Me that even when I fail the first time, I have Learned 100 better things to do and to Listen to the Plants and THE BEST GROWER’S = You ,Mr Smith and a Friend I have Never seen, In Cali, You all have Help Me Become ONE OF (NOT THE BIGGEST GROWER AROUND) I live In TEXAS, and These REDNECK are Hell on Cannabis Grower’s. I grow for Me and a Friend and as My story tells You ,I sent It early this Morning, I Now Grow Some Dank Bud even if it’s only for 2 or 3 People, I’m a Dirt Farmer ,It’s so Forgiving and the Bud or Strain I Grow is OUTSTANDING in Soil. I don’t care if I can Grow faster is Hydro, I”M COMFORTABLE WITH SOIL. I KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I’M SAYING ,MY FRIEND WANT HYDRO, I SAID ” THEN SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THE SET-UP , I’M COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT I’M DOING AND YOU LOVED YOU PART,
    Your so Right about alot of thing’s It’s all IN THE FRAMING or The big picture, Thanks for your words of Wisdom. It’s works for Big Grower’s & Personal Growers like myself,
    Thanks & Have a BLESSED DAY
    Max Of Tajas

• bigdaddycc December 15, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Man I hope Big Mike publishes it, I like you am a dirt grower but my success has been so so.

2. seldom February 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

thanks mike…

3. Jay C February 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Big Mike u rock brother! keep pushing the good!

4. Derrick Schnur February 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Hey Max,
    All of my fellow friends/growers do hydro. I am the only guy in my area of Phoenix, AZ. growing in soil. One of my friends is the owner of a hydro store down the street. The only difference between my bud and theirs is two things: Their buds are harder than mine and my bud tastes much better than theirs. I have experimented over the past three years and have discovered secrets that allow me to grow the same quantity as any hydro grower, but with a greater quality of taste out of soil.
    Most (not all) of my ingredients are from Advanced Nutrients. I found that when I apply a specific recipe with specific environmental parameters the results are as fast if not faster than hydro–and it’s growing in soil.
    You keep up the soil growing if that is what you like doing. Always experiment. The area I began my experimentation was with quadrupling the Fulvic Acid, I tripled the Humic Acid, I increased my Carboload level by seven times and increased my Hygrozyme (sorry Mike) by five times. I have photo, video and eyewitness proof that my plants were 8″ tall when transplanted into a ten gallon bag pot and grew to 4’3″ in 7 days. When my assistant walked in on day 14 she stopped and stepped back two feet before saying, “What the fuck?”
    My plants had grown to 6-1/2′ tall and were 12′ in circumference. The reminded me of little orange trees. I grow between 27 and 32 varieties at any given moment. Now every time I want to repeat this, all I have to do is get all environmental conditions the same and repeat those feed schedules and voilà.
    I have lost three crops in the last three years, usually due to a plant that went spastic and hermied causing some seed here and there. To me that is total failure. I finish the crop as I normally would. Either way my stuff still knocks you to the floor, and all I do to move it is by blasting it…making budda or shadder. I just made a killer tincture that combined 1 lb. bud to 3 bottles of Everclear using the freezer method for eight weeks instead of five days. I strained it and then put a 1/2 lb. of pure blond keif in that same jar for another eight weeks. Last thing I had to do was heat it to just below boiling and simmer long enough to decarboxylate it and I was done. One drop under the tongue and I was peeling myself out of the couch 16 hours later. Keep on growing. Never stop. I grow in warehouses all over town, and it is so much fun. I don’t know what else I would do!?! Make Meth? Hell No–grow!

5. Tj February 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

During last summer my medical garden got infested with mites from a clone given by a friend this one mistake coat me my crop and genetics I had big bud. white widow. LA Confrdential, OG Kush. ChemDawg. Purple Kush. Cinderella. Blackdomina and a handful of my personal breeds all were devastated in the end some were completely resistant to the mites and then powdery mildew took over the other ones one of my personal breeds was immune to attack of both but I had to cull everything to be safe run my ozone grn for a week in the sealed room to kill off anything and I still haven’t completely recovered from losing years if genetics all from accepting one clone that turned out to carry pm and mites be careful I only start from seed and keep a clean room mentality when it comes to my garden sincerely canadiancannabiscrusader

6. J. P. February 13, 2014 at 4:51 am #

I now view adversity quite differently after reading “Think and Grow Rich” and “The New Psycho Cybernetics”. Adversity is the Universe telling you that parts of your life are out of balance and she is forcing you to re-think the way you’re doing something or try something new that is more in tune with your true self. Very inspiring story Mike. Peace 🙂

7. teacup May 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

I got me a bottle of seed I have been collecting for decades. got a few gold seeds in there some where. Q is after so long what will be the effect on them if and when i decide I should grow them. note I am a firm believer in soil over hydro.

8. Smokinroach September 14, 2016 at 10:12 am #

I wanna be like big Mike when I grow up. (Pun intended lol) but seriously the whole reason I started growing was to grow good honest clean bud that would allow me to give back to the community. The only thing that sucks worse than crop failure is wanting to do good but not having the means to do it. One day that will change.